A Big Thank You to York Mind, Leeds &York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust and Joseph Rowntree Foundation for funding our Winter Wednesdays project
Winter Wednesdays involved group walks around the built and natural environment of York and documenting the walks through the production of art journals. The work created by the group resulted in a creative self-help guide to help the wider community.
This was a project to help people on low incomes and encountering mental health issues feel less marginalised and isolated during the winter months and festive season. Isolation is proven to be a cause of mental health decline.
Through the project, we were able to:
- Work with people living in York with mental health issues for 16 weeks over the winter period
- Take people for group walks outside in the environment of York to gather inspirational material.
- Bring people together in a supportive and purposeful group.
- Teach creative skills of drawing, printmaking and bookmaking.
- Guide participants to document their journeys through the creation of art journals to be exhibited during the Residents First Festival and thereby inspiring others to seek strategies and take positive steps to improve their well-being.
- Create a visually stimulating professionally printed ‘creative self-help’ booklet detailing positive winter coping strategies to be circulated through referral organisations, libraries, GP surgeries and hospitals etc .